Baby Showers
Options

Guest List Advice

Hi Ladies!  I'm new to this board, I'm normally over on the Nov. 13 BMB.  But...I know this would be the best place for the type of advice I'm seeking!  My MIL asked if she could host/put together a shower very early on as we're her only shot for grandchildren, and we accepted.  We've been hosting an exchange student who goes home on June 25th, and once she goes home MIL has mentioned she'd like to get together and see about a guest list etc. 

Knowing that this is coming, here is my question/advice needed with a wee bit of background:  My Mom passed away in 2009 and ever since then I haven't really seen any of her family and there were some disrespectful things that happened with my Dad's family upon my Mom's passing, and I also haven't really seen any of them since then.  I know my Dad will insist and get upset if I don't invite family from his side, but I'm WAY more comfortable and closer with DH's family.  I kind of just want to tell my MIL about a few friends I want to invite and leave the family list up to her.  I want to be able to enjoy the experience and not just invite people because I "have to".  Thoughts/advice?