Baby Showers
Options

Etiquette Opinion- STM Baby Shower

I know this is one of those hot topics that usually sparks a lot of firm opinions but I wanted to get a feeling of whether or not a baby shower would be appropriate.

I am pregnant with #2. My DD will be 8 years old when this baby comes, and we are having a boy this time. For the longest time, I thought she would be our only child so I didn't keep anything. I was always under the assumption that you only get 1 baby shower for the first child and had already planned to purchase pretty much everything for baby boy.

I found out yesterday that my parents really want to throw a shower for me. I told my dad that I wasn't sure because I didn't want to offend anyone by having a second shower if per etiquette I shouldn't. So here are my concerns:

1) Since its been 8 years and I am having the opposite sex, would a shower be appropriate or not? I just don't want to spark any harsh feelings from other family members.

2) Is it wierd that my own mom would be throwing the shower? I know a lot of MIL's do it, or friends or cousins but I rarely see a mom do it for her own daughter.

3) I really don't want a traditional shower. I just enjoy a good party. Would we be better off with going towards a co-ed BBQ baby welcome party/shower as opposed to a traditional shower. Maybe that would thwart any issues with snarky family members.

P.S.- I could also just be paranoid because I know I have issues with people who have second showers, but wouldn't have an issue if someone were in my shoes. I threw quite the hissy to my DH because his cousin had a second shower a year after her first was born.

Sorry for the long post!