Special Needs
Options

Another DX: apraxia of speech

We had J evaluated privately today for his speech issues, because we thought it would be a good idea to supplement private sessions to the twice weekly 15-minute sessions he's getting in school, especially throughout the summer.  The SLP told me that she believes he has apraxia of speech.

After talking to her, and doing some research online, it seems to make so much sense.  He can create sounds, but not use them consistently when he's saying words.  She's going to prepare her report in time for our IEP/eligibility meeting later this month, so if the school's evaluation continues to focus on articulation, we can use it to ask for individual, [/i] more appropriate therapy.

I'm glad to know that this is his problem, as it appears that we'll be able to address it more directly/appropriately, but I'm also a little concerned that this might be a more long-lasting/lifelong problem. I know that therapy results are different for everyone and vary so much depending on the therapist and child, but can anyone give me an idea of the outcomes/improvement your child experienced once apraxia-appropriate therapy was incorporated?