3rd Trimester

Doctor note and Maternity Leave

I have posted here a few times regarding my new job at a small company. I started my job in January at about 16 weeks pregnant, and work for a very small company (about 17 employees). For these reasons, I knew going into it I would not qualify for FMLA. The company really didn't have a maternity leave plan and asked me what I wanted, I told them 8 weeks off, but then recently told them I could take less time off full time and work opposite my husband for awhile (awhile meaning a few months and they knew this). My husband works 12 hour days and 3 on 2 off so I thought it would make more sense financially. Well today I finally got something out of my boss for what they can do for me (only 4 months later, I should have had this figured out before I even accepted the job). They can "accommodate" me for 3 weeks full leave then 3 weeks opposite my husband. I told him that her daycare won't take her before 7 weeks (which is true) and he said "fine, I didn't know that". I was practically in tears, this is not at all what I want. I had an appointment today so I asked my doctor about this and she gave me a note for 6 weeks off and said it was just like any major medical condition and said I would not be ready to return to work that soon. I would be sleep deprived, have a nursing baby that wants to eat every 2 hours meaning I would have to pump often, etc. My question is, will the doctor's note mean anything to my employer or can they tell me they can't accommodate me and it be legal? I do not have short term disability.