Los Angeles Babies
Options

Need advice re: etiquette on lending/borrowing children's toys

Hi everyone,A friend of mine approached me a few months ago about swapping toys (lend/borrow each other's children's toys). She said it'd be a great way to be eco-friendly and economical and that it would almost seem like as if our kids were getting brand new toys to play with. It sounded like a good idea at the time (course, you know where this is going....).We ended up lending each other 2 toys each and kept them for about 3 months. I lent her 2 items that were in excellent condition (one was even almost brand new and barely played with since my son wasn't ready to play with it yet at the time). Unfortunately, I received both back in poor condition. One had a faint pen mark and dried food stains on it (safari roller toy). The other, a talking cooking pot with utensil and 5 plastic food pieces, came back with only 4 food pieces and covered in dog hair and some other "mystery" stains (dried liquid/food?). I was extremely surprised at the lack of care that my friend seemed to show towards my son's toys especially when I made the extra effort to clean her toys before returning them back to her.As for the talking cooking pot with the missing food piece, my friend casually mentioned, "Oh, we can't find the tomato" when she gave it back to me. There was no mention or even offer to replace it.Should I just let this go and never let her borrow anything ever again? Or should I say something to her? or even share with her my feelings of disappointment and annoyance? On one hand, I keep telling myself that it's just a toy and that toys can be replaced. On the other hand, I just don't understand the lack of common courtesy that my friend showed and am just puzzled by her carelessness.She's not a close friend but we share a circle of friends so I'd hate for things to be awkward if I were to say anything. On the other hand, I know I'd definitely harbor some feelings of resentment towards her.Anyone been in this situation before? How did you handle it? Thanks for sharing your thoughts......