Breastfeeding

FTM looking for advice on "routine"

My son Parker came 6 weeks early on 12/28 he was a pretty good size 5lbs 10oz but still needed a week in the NICU, we came home with a 24 hr apnea monitor about 2 weeks ago during the week in the nicu I would pump breast milk and he would have breast milk or formula bottles when I wasn't there and while I was there 8am until 8pm I would try to breast feed. This would consist of 5 to 20minutes on the breast with a nipple shield he didn't have a good latch after he tried to breast feed often falling asleep we myself/nurses would give him a breast milk bottle. Since we have been home he has exclusively been fed breast milk and is gaining weight. The issue is my routine sucks lol! He is 3weeks now 37 weeks. So we breast feed with the damn nipple shield it is so hard to ween him off!!! I try pulling it mid feed and it just stresses us both out he won't open up wide enough for me to get him to feel a good latch so my goal with shield is 10 min each breast. Which he normally/lazily completes, THEN I pull out a warm breast milk bottle and he'll take down almost 50ml almost 2 ozs each time. Then every other feeding every 45 hrs ill pump out around 4ozs the reason I pump is 1 I hear the nipple shield could cause clogged ducts 2 he still sucks down that bottle after we breast feed so I want him to be full maybe that's my anxiety after seeing him so small since he was early

So my routine is lengthy and I feel like I'm doing everything all wrong. It is nice that my mom and husband can feed him when I need a nap and I have tons of milk in the fridge and frozen in the two weeks home....but can I really keep this up? My maternity leave is until April 1 so I def have time to try new things...

Should I pull the shield? Should I stop pumping? Should I stop giving him a bottle after every session even though he gulps it down each time Should I just revert to breast milk bottles only and chalk it up to I tried but his early delivery threw in some kinks?

Thanks for listening ladies!

Missy
BabyFruit Ticker