August 2013 Moms

OB plus doula?

When I saw my OB yesterday, I mentioned we are considering a midwife or a doula. She said she'd be happy to switch me to the midwife group at our hospital.

I really, really like my OB. A lot. She said she delivers approx 60 percent if her patients' babies, which isn't great but actually is better than I expected. I'm nervous about a midwife, because I have a history of back problems; so I'm worried I'll get turfed to a dr last minute anyway. She said she's worked with doulas in the past frequently, with good experiences. She gave me the name of one in particular, who I had already googled and was leaning toward contacting. So I just emailed her.

My H was a little thrown by the cost at first, but after we talked he's totally on board; he doesn't do well with medical slash hospital stuff, and my parents are an hour away so my mom won't be able to be here instantaneously.

Is anyone doing OB or family practice plus doula? Or have previous experience with it? What's the cost like in your area?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml