Breastfeeding

Lingering thrush? Or bad latch?

I was diagnosed with thrush two weeks ago and given Diflucan, which I just finished my prescription of last night. I was experiencing great pain when my babies latched, and about 10 minutes into nursing sessions I would feel deep breast pain. My nipples burned anytime I wasn't nursing, and pumping had become extremely painful. The boys' pediatrician said they displayed no symptoms of thrush, so he did not give them any medication for it, and told me to monitor their mouths for white patches and come back if I saw any. I haven't. I've boiled bottles and pacifiers a few times just in case, however.

Since then my overall symptoms have improved (my nipples aren't burning, and the general pain level has decreased), but I can't seem to shake pain from latching, deep pain about 10-15 minutes into a nursing session, and high nipple sensitivity (to cloth or even just plain air). I've been struggling to get my supply up to keep up with my twins as much as possible (we supplement with formula and pumped breast milk), but ever since the thrush diagnosis breastfeeding has really gone downhill. The lingering pain has made me dread feedings, and I find myself skipping sessions sometimes to pump instead, or miss feeds entirely. One of my boys has always had trouble latching (he has a higher palate and I used a nipple shield with him until about two weeks ago, right before thrush struck), but the other is a latching champ. I feel pain from both babies, but especially the more challenging latcher. 

I'm wondering if my thrush is lingering after treatment, or if weaning my boy off the nipple shield has done a number on my breasts and the pain I'm still feeling is from a bad latch? I'm a FTM so I'm feeling very uncertain as to whether this is a medical problem or a latch issue that I've been letting go unchecked. Any advice would be very appreciated! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic