Breastfeeding

Amy G.- Bottle question

Hi Amy,

I read a post a few posts down where you said something like, "You are the mom, you know best. Push the issue a bit and be more stubborn than baby."

I am wondering of you think that this is true for bottles as well. My daughter is a great breastfeeder... almost too great. We introduced a bottle at 5 weeks; she finally took one at 6 weeks, took it for about 2 weeks, and has flat out refused since then. We've tried everything, and she just would rather hold out until I get home. If she was happily waiting it out, it would be one thing, but she's pretty cranky.

I have to be gone about once per month all day long (like 6-7 hours) and twice per week for about 4 hours at a time. During the all day trips, I have been able to come home at lunch to nurse her, but that's still a lot less nursing during the day than she does normally. When I'm in class twice per week, I just nurse her before I leave, and nurse her when I get back. She doesn't seem particularly happy about these arrangements, but she seems happier about them than taking a bottle.

I guess my question is whether I should push the issue (the bottle) or just let it go. She's 3.5 months old.

I feel terribly guilty when I leave her, because I know that she's very hungry but won't eat.