Breastfeeding

Scabbing? WDYD? *long*

The 1st 2 days with LO were really hard for breasfeeding. She was a big baby (9lbs 15ozs) so the nurse told me that would make her "sleepier" than most babies for the first little bit. Also that even tho I did not have GD her weight could effect her blood sugar since her body had to deal with everything on its own now so regular feedings were important, and I would have to wake her for them since she'd probably sleep a lot. I do find this is the case but the regular feedings were hard because she would fall asleep again almost instantly so the 8-12 feedings a day isn't our norm because she feeds 5-8 mins at a time then falls asleep with no way to wake her (tried undressing, cold cloth, pinching her toes...) so I feel like I am constantly feeding her between feed, wake her, feed, wake her...it takes so long.

Well between all the moisture on my skin from the constant feeds and her having such a terrible latch at first from being so sleepy, my nipples bled and now have small scabs on them. I am going to see a lactation consultant and our family doc tomorrow who I am sure will have advice but I want others opinions as well so if something doesn't work for me maybe something else will.

Basically my question is this; these scabs obviously make things very sensitive so I naturally wince and pull away from her latch (which has greatly improved) which does not make her latch 100% of course, so I feel like we're just not working great as a team on this right now. What can I do to heal these scabs so I can continue? Should I FF for a bit (tho I'll admit I really don't want to), is there a good cream I can use (I am currently using Good Mama Angel Care which has helped the redness, will it continue to work for the scabs if I give it more time?), or will it just take time to heal on its own with a proper latch?? I don't know the best course of action but I feel so unbelievably guilty because I find myself now DREADING waking her to feed because I know the pain coming. Please ladies, share your wisdom; I am at the end of my rope.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml