Breastfeeding

Had trouble BFing #1, need advice for #2!

I'm sorry if this is a long post, so thanks in advance for reading! A little backstory on my experience with DS:

DS was born at 35 weeks, and we really had a struggle with BFing from the start. Thankfully he was healthy, and breathing well on his own, but he lost a lot of weight in the hospital (born 5lbs 13oz, down to 5lbs 4oz), so I was told to supplement one ouce of formula after each nursing session. The doctors said that my supply should catch up, and that i would be able to wean him off the formula eventually, but that never happened. At his 2 week check up, he still wasn't up to his birth weight, so I was forced to supplement even more. I continued BFing and supplementing, until DS became really fussy at the breast, and I ended up weaning him at 4 months. I know I shouldn't, but I feel incredibly guilty that I wasn't able to breastfeed him exclusivly, and I really regret not getting help sooner. I did contact a LLL consultant over the phone, and she gave me a lot of great tips at the time, but I feel like I had a hard time finding help. I tried fenugreek, nursing teas, malt etc. and nothing made a big difference in my supply.

So in short, I need some advice on what to do this time around to make sure I have a good start. I feel like a lot of our issues were related to his prematurity, so hopefully this baby will be full term. I got the name of local lactation consultant, so I plan on meeting with her when I'm around 32 weeks, just to extablish a relationship. I'm also planning on re-reading the womanly art of breastfeeding and Kellymom.com. Is there anything else I should do? Should I insisit on no formula in the hospital? I really fought this last time, but I really had no choice since DS lost so much weight. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker