Breastfeeding

Vent: If only people thought about what they were saying

DH and I met some friends who we rarely see because they live out of state for dinner Saturday evening since we were all visiting family in the same area.  Our friends are child free by choice and have some friends with and some without kids. 

Everything was going well until DH decided to tell an anecdote about being on an airplane with a BFing mother when he was in college.  Like most young guys, he found the situation a little awkward, but he's since made his peace with BFing.

My friend's husband, a man in his 30s, said he would be so uncomfortable in that situation.  I got really upset and let him know just how offensive I found his comment to be.  I know I can't tell someone how to feel, but he really did not have to say that to a breastfeeding mother.  We all agreed to drop the whole thing and move on to a new line of conversation, yet he felt the need to get up from the table (he was finished eating but no one else was) and leave the restaurant without even saying goodbye.  My friend got mad at me for getting upset with her husband.  I apologized for making him feel so bad that he felt his only option was to leave the restaurant but refused to be sorry for taking offense at his comment.

Was I out of line?