2nd Trimester

Vent: MIL!!!! (sorry long)

My MIL and I have always had an interesting relationship. Sometimes we get along great, other times...not so much. Ever since DH and I announced we are expecting she's been either doing something or saying something that's making me crazy! 

DH and I are expecting our first baby (I'm 5'3" and 130lbs pre-pregancy), and so far I've gained about 2lbs. My MIL is 5'8" and a broad woman, not heavy. But she's stated how she gained 40lbs with each of her children. Ever since DH and I got married we've been going to their house for Friday night dinners since they only live about 20-25mins from us. Every time we go to the house it's like she's examining my belly to see if I'm showing and asking how much I've gained.

On Friday, we went to the house (and I'm showing, but very little...I can still fit into my normal clothes and jeans) and she says to me "Ok, I can see a little bit of a stomach....now I give you a week, no maybe two then your stomach will be out past your chest." I didn't even know what to say to that, that I pretty much responded with "Oh I don't know about that." I just feel like she's dying to see me turn into the size of a house. She's constantly complaining about how I'm such a boring pregnant person since I don't have a HUGE appetite or any weird cravings. I'm trying not to let her know how much she's actually upsetting me, but it's getting to a point where I feel like I may just snap!

Also, DH is the oldest of 4 and the only one that is married. His brother (28) still lives at home, he has a sister (21) whose away at school and another sister (19) who still lives at home. I am an only child. Over the past few years there's been a lot of drama on my mom's side of the family, so we really don't see them anymore. For holidays we've always spent time with both sides. Thanksgiving we see my family and his, Christmas eve has always been my family as Christmas day we celebrate with DH's. MIL to this day, wants all her children at the house on Christmas eve night to open their pi's and all wake up in the house for Christmas morning. This has been fine in the past, but now that DH and I are expecting our first baby I really want to start our own traditions and incorporate both sides of the family, especially since my mother feels abandoned by her family and DH has a large family.

DH and I have spoken about changing things around, by starting with Easter this year. We want to get both sides together for a brunch and then go to his aunt's house as it's his cousin's birthday as well. My parents loved the idea, and his aunt and cousin as well. On Friday when we were at dinner the conversation of Easter came up. We mentioned how we wanted to celebrate with Catie since it's her birthday and also have my parents around. MIL could have cared less, and was more concerned with the fact that we won't be doing an EGG HUNT in the morning!!!!!! She has grown children!!!!! But she still acts like they are all children, and everyone seems to go along with it.

I don't know how DH and I can try to change things if she's so unwilling and wants everything to take place at her house. She's already telling me how we're going to celebrate the baby's first easter next year!!!! Please help ladies, how can we try to change things without causing drama....which unfortunately I think is bound to happen.