Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Those of you with family members who smoke (a lot!)

I am looking for some advice and your experiences. My MIL and SIL smoke like chimneys. SIL has 2 children and both of them smoke in front of the kids and in their homes - so they obviously think its fine. Since I got pregnant, MH and I are adamant that they need to smoke outside when we come over but its still not enough. It gives me a headache and I reek when I leave (plus anything they give me for the baby smells as well - even the books...). I don't see us spending a ton of time there because we don't necessarily agree with a lot of their parenting styles - unlimited amounts of soda (even as infants!), fast food, no boundaries, nothing is organized, etc. - but the smoking is absolutely not up for discussion. They live about an hour away so I expect they may want visits more than MH and I do.

MH agrees with all of this but I would still like to be the one to talk with MIL about the smoking before my LO gets here, and I have some ideas  - such wanting her to change her top (I would buy and keep one at my house for her to change into), wearing a blanket betweeen her and LO at the hospital, not spending as much time at her house since everything inside reeks, etc. I know MH would reinforce this.

It obviously will not be an easy conversation but looking for some previous experiences or advice on how/when to bring up the subject and how to respectfully get my point across without crossing the line - now that your LOs are here. Sorry this post got so long. TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker