Upstate NY Babies

Here we go - bday party questions

You'd think I'd have this down pat after 6 parties between the girls so far, but I always think of questions!

- My DD shares her birthday weekend with her cousin.  The cousin's actual bday is Saturday, so we are probably going to have our party on Sunday.  About half the party attendees will be the same at the parties (mutual family).  Is that a bad idea, to ask people to spend their weekend going to kid's parties?  I actually don't really care if people can't make it, because the smaller the better, and I basically have no relationship with those people.  Also my aunt and uncle are driving 3.5 hours to come help out and that's their best weekend to visit.

- Favors - I always do favors for the adults.  Until DD has non-family bday parties that are exclusively other kids, I like to give something to everyone.  In past years I've done nice chocolates, boxes of cookies, etc but I'm thinking of taking a break from the sweets.  I saw nice ceramic flower pots (glazed in lots of nice colors) that were pretty cheap and come with seeds and soil, for pretty cheap.  Is that maybe a nice alternative to candy (for a March bday)?