Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Postpartum communication protocol

Not sure if this is the right place to put this or not. What is the protocol for phone calls, talking to parents, etc., postpartum? Do you call your mom afterward? Wait a few days to recover? Avoid everyone for two weeks? ;)

My little guy is almost a year. My mom just brought up that she was hurt I didn't call for a few days after he was born. My husband called all the family when I was in labor, and again after the birth. We used a birthing center where you go home 6-8 hours afterward, so after a trip to the hospital for stitches, we went home. I was supposed to pretty much be on bed rest a couple of days, only allowed to get up to use the bathroom. I honestly can't remember if it was 1 day or 3 before I called. All I remember is eating, sleeping, and trying to figure out breastfeeding, while totally exhausted and in pain. I think my mom was waiting for me to call soon as we got home.

So what's "normal"? What's reasonable? Is it terrible to wait a few days to call? I'm wondering because 1) I don't know how to respond to this, and 2) I want to have an idea as to what's reasonable when the next one arrives in April. Help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker