2nd Trimester

Think I was fed a bunch of BS at my prenatal massage...

So I have this recurring neck/shoulder blade strain that keeps coming back after it is healed whenever I twist around the wrong way or lift something heavy. Before I was pregnant, deep tissue massage was the only thing that would temporarily heal it up. Well, I pulled the muscle again last week so I scheduled a prenatal massage but told the receptionist that it was specifically to work on an injury.

So I get to my appointment and explain this to my massage therapist, and she told me that there are spots all over your body that, if pushed too hard, can trigger labor. She told me that she would spend extra time on my shoulder blade area but that she had to use a very light touch with a prenatal massage. Her strokes were so light it barely felt like she was touching me! I had a prenantal massage at a different spa early on in my pregnancy to help with the hormonal headaches, and she used WAY more pressure...it was excellent! So right off the bat I felt like this lady didn't really know what she was doing, or maybe she did?

Now, I know that the labor trigger point thing is valid, but all the research I have done on this matter says that the main concern with this issue is mainly with areas on the ankles and feet that are to be avoided. I have found nothing that says that deep tissue work on other areas of the body should be avoided. I left my massage with my neck and shoulder not feeling better at all, and really upset because I feel like I was ripped off. I understand that she was just being careful, but now I wish I would have just left and not wasted my money. Not to mention, a pregnancy wedge that allows you to lay face down was not available so I had to do a side-lying massage and I hated it!

Does anyone on here know anything about this matter? Are deep tissue massages safe as long as they stay away from the feet and ankles? Those of you that have gotten a prenantal massage before, what was your experience like? I am thinking about going to a chiropractor now to try to permanantly fix the problem, and wondering if that is safe too. Has anyone been to a chiropractor during thier pregnancy?

My extra belly and boobie weight seems to be exasterbating the problem and I really need some relief and refuse to take any meds obviously. The heating pad helps for about 10 minutes and then it hurts again. Ughhh, so frustrated, and don't know what to do!

Help, guys, help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml