2nd Trimester

unasked for, completely random, and totally early advice, but i'm going to post it anyway

I know this is random, but I've been thinking about it, and I had to go searching for it, but I FINALLY found it.  A while back, almost 2 years now, (because I think DD was about 3 months or so) someone posted this chart of awake times for infants. 

Obviously, it varies by child, but this guideline was a HUGE help for me in getting DD into a routine when she/I was ready.  So take it or leave it, but I suggest book marking it. 

Here's a C&P of the post (mainly pay attention to the awake time chart).  :o)  (And FWIW, DD is an awesome sleeper, who knows if this played a part in it. )  I'll probably repost this when we're all over in 0-3 months lol. 

I see a lot of posts about moms with babies who "won't sleep". It's true every baby is different, and it's true some are more awake than others. But...

First, don't do anything anyone tells you to do if you don't want to. If something works for you, fantastic, no need to change.

Second, my LO STTN 9-11 hours 90% of the time, and naps about 4-5 hours in the day time (3 naps of 1.5-2 hrs each). So, in case you're interested, here's what works for me:

- swaddle DD for every nap and at bedtime using the Escape Proof Swaddle. Seriously, this has been our miracle: ever since we started this, she has slept > 7 hrs (the most was 11 hrs 15 minutes!!!) in a row every single night.

- I really, really focus on my LO's awake times (see guideline below). I look for tired cues, yes, but usually, I just go by the amount of time she's been awake since her last nap/sleep (including diaper changes, feeding, playing, and the amount of time it takes the baby to fall asleep! etc). We put Hailey (3 months) down for naps/bed after 1 hr and 10-20 minutes of awake time. Typically, it takes babies 20 minutes to fall asleep, so include this in your awake time (i.e. if their awake time is good at 90 minutes, but them down at 70 minutes).

Guideline for Awake time for babies
Newborn 50-60 mins
1 month 60 mins-hour and 15
2 months 1 hour and 15 - 20 mins
3 months 1 hour and 20 - 30 mins
4 months 1 hour and 45 - 2 hours
5 months 2 hours - 2.25 hours
Late 5 months/early 6 months 2.25-2.5 hours
6.5 - 7 months 2.75-3 hours. Some are getting more.
8 - 10 months 3 - 4 hours. Some are getting more.
11 - 12 months 3.5 -4.5 hours. Some are getting more if moved early to 1 nap

- I have also read in the Baby Whisperer (and found to be true with my baby) that naps < 20 minutes tends to mean the baby is likely not tired enough (and activity/awake time needs to be increased by 5-15 minutes); and naps longer than 20 minutes but shorter than 45 minutes tend to mean the baby is OVERtired, and activity/awake time likely needs to be decreased by 5-15 minutes.

- In my opinion, once a baby has been fed, changed, burped well, etc (i.e. all needs met), if she fusses a bit or chats to herself for 10 minutes that is okay with me. It is not CIO, but it is giving her a chance to settle herself. If she cries, of course I react: I'll go in, put my hand on her chest, put her soother back in, and gently stroke from her forehead to her nose (till she closes her eyes/calms down), then walk away. I may repeat this 2-3 times, and usually by then she's asleep! Sometimes, I dont even have to go in at all, and she closes her eyes within the first 10 minutes.

I have a "textbook baby" according to the Baby Whisperer's temperament quiz (of which something similar can be found here). It is my opinion that this is why my baby tends to act as "guidelines" suggest.

Anyways, I just wanted to post this in case it helps anyone.
If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me. - Led Zeppelin
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
imageimage image
Chemical Pregnancy 10/5/10
BFP 2/7/11--m/c 2/12/11
TTD pics taken by knottie jen&louie :o)