1st Trimester
Options

new discussion

Looking for some fun ways to break the baby news to your family? There are plenty of creative options out there. We put this one to our users—here’s what they came up with:

Proud Granda

“I have an older sister who already has a son. At an extended family gathering my mom said, ‘Well, I’m going to be a grandma again!’ Everyone (aunts, uncles, cousins) turned to my sister and yelled out her name. She was shaking her head no and then they turned to me and said ‘You’re pregnant?’” — vagirl06

Let Your Clothes Do the Talking

“For my family: I made a onesie for my 7-month-old niece that said, ‘I’m getting a cousin!’ My husband’s family: On Easter, I wore a maternity tank that said, ‘I ♥ baby.’ Everyone was too nervous to ask me about it, so I said to his mom, "I see you looking at my shirt. Aren’t you going to say anything?’ And she got all excited and told me she thought maybe I was just wearing the shirt because I thought it was cute or something.” — jesnbrent

Family Dinner Announcement

“We waited until Easter, and had the whole family on both sides over for dinner. My husband asked for everyone to hold hands right before dinner, so he could say grace. He started with how many things that we are all thankful for, and ended the list with an addition to the family: that we were expecting. The family was so excited, it was a great dinner.” — Dunkin

A Picture’s Worth a Thousand Words

“I told my parents after coming back from the OB at week nine. I had decided in my mind not to tell them for another three weeks, even though I had the sonogram in my pocket. My mother asked me, ‘So what’s going on with your testing? You decided not to do it, didn’t you?’ I smiled and threw out the sonogram picture. Shocked them too!” — Ingrid&Richard

to