Attachment Parenting
Options

Frustration Tolerance

Not trying to be a PW, I just have a lot of questions this week, apparently!

DS is 19 months old and is starting to demonstrate a very low frustration tolerance. This is both when he does not get his way and when he has trouble completing a task, i.e. stacking his blocks on top of the slide, they fall before he wants to push them.

His new immediate response to any frustration is to push or throw whatever is within his reach and dramatically sprawl onto the floor sobbing. He does this both when he's frustrated with a toy and when he's asked to wait just a minute and I'll get what he needs. He also does this if I don't understand him.

I've been comforting and telling him that tantruming will not help, and that if he wants my help he needs to calm down.

Today, I was sorting the mail and he wanted to nurse. He was standing by the coffee table and called to me for numnums. I asked him to wait, and said just a minute. Mommy will be right there. He started to cry and pushed his toys off the table, then put his head down. I said again, I'm coming. Just a minute, and he started hitting his head on the table and really crying! He now has a bruise on his forehead!

I rushed over and picked him up/nursed him. It just freaked me out! I want to help him handle his frustration and also be more patient, but this was such an extreme response, it caught me offguard!

How have you taught your toddlers to handle frustration, and how have you helped them learn patience? Is this even possible, or am I over thinking this? Sometimes he does have to wait...but I do always follow through when I tell him just a minute.

Sorry for the novel. I just don't want my little one to injure himself, and I know there must be a way to help him with this: thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml