Blended Families
Options

Knew it was too good to be true...

Right before BM moved, she and DH sat down with SD and explained the new visitation schedule.  I wasn't there for it, but it was something along the lines of "We think it's best for you to stay in school here, so you'll live here and see mom EOWE plus some extra time in summer.  Holidays with alternate like we've always done."

SD seemed to take it really well.  DH said the only thing she was upset about was the holiday schedule; she wanted to do all holidays one year with BM and the next year with DH. I thought it was kind of funny that she took issue with the one thing that wasn't changing.  But overall, she was being very mature and understanding.

So, this weekend, we went to see DH's aunt and uncle.  SD spent all day Saturday with Aunt V.  In that time, she told her that "Mom moved, and I'm going to see her EOW.  I guess I'll go to school for a week, then miss a week?  I'm not sure how I'll keep up with school, but I'll work really hard to not get behind." 

Umm, what?

So she misunderstood.  DH sat her down last night after dinner and explained everything again.  He printed off a calendar and starred the days she's with BM.  SD started to get upset and asked why she couldn't just go to two schools.

The logic of it didn't make sense to her, of course.  But I think seeing that calendar made it sink in that this awesome new house she was promised... Well, she only gets to stay in it four nights a month.  She feels like she got the short end of the stick, and rightly so.

I feel for her.  It can't be easy to go from three days a week to four days a month.  I can't imagine being away from my mom like that at 7 years old.  We told her she has a bunch of people she can talk to if she wants to talk.  And of course, we'll do counseling if we feel she needs it.

I guess this is just me rambling...  Thanks for reading.