Third-Party Reproduction
Options

Bringing back the genetic child you had to bury

I have a really strange question to pose to those of you who have been on the TPR path for a while.

Taking money and the hassle of cycling out of the equation (because we all know it's easier and cheaper to have a baby spontaneously)...

How would you feel if you spontaneously conceived a baby at this point? Would there be any mixed feelings?

I recognized something about myself earlier this year. I had to grieve and completely emotionally bury the notion of a genetic child in order to really embrace the idea of having a child born of donor genes. And I can say that after going through that extensive grieving process, the only child(ren) I can picture in our future are comprised NOT of our genes. And not only am I okay with that idea, I cherish it.

It's to the point where if we were to spontaneously conceive a genetic child, I would feel almost blindsided and strange because that child I was forced to bury would be "coming back from the dead". That's sincerely the only way I know how to describe it. It's a strange feeling to think about a child you buried coming back to you. It makes me a bit uneasy. And it's probably a good thing because with our IF diagnosis, it just ain't gonna happen anyway ;-)

Am I alone in feeling this? I would obviously love and accept any child who is born to me - genetic or not. However it's been a strange realization to me that I feel like having a donor-conceived child is preferred at this point since that genetic child is dead.

Let me also add by saying I did NOT feel this way in the beginning. It is a feeling that has emerged in the past six months or so. I'd imagine that those new to TPR might think I'm just crazy.

I'm curious for your thoughts!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml