Special Needs
Options

Would you move?

DD had encephalitis last year, and the resulting brain damage has left her unable to talk, unable to eat by mouth (she has a g-tube) and with the motor skills of a 3 month old.  We live in New Orleans where we have been disappointed all around with medical care, and we have few options for therapy.  After Katrina, many doctors and healthcare professionals left, so appointments are very hard to come by. The public schools are also terrible, and most people send their children to private schools, even in the suburb area.  Unfortunately, none of the private schools around feel as though they can accommodate DD, and I did not get a good feel from the special Ed department of our local school district that they could handle her needs.

We currently travel to Houston every month for a couple of days for medical follow-up, and DD is in therapy 5 days a week here at home.  DH's family is here, but does not help a lot.  We do, however have a great Nanny for DD.  We also have a new baby on the way in November.

I have an opportunity to transfer to my office's Houston office, and my husband could work from home to finish up his existing projects at his job until he finds something permanent. I am very conflicted about whether to move to be closer to DD's medical care and for better schools.  I am nervous about being in a new city, with few friends, no family, and a baby on the way.  On the other hand, there are great public schools in Houston suburbs, there is also terrific private school catering to children with severe brain injuries like DD's, and the ability to be close to our doctors and to have more therapy options for DD would be great.  DH wants to go, but says it is my call.  What would you do?