Blended Families
Options

NBFR:Getting birth certificate diff for kids if unmarried parents

So this isn't exactly bf related but I know in some people's situation kids were born when the parents weren't married so I thought people here might understand. I found out today from a Facebook friend that in my state birth certificates of people with unmarried parents are"impounded" and can only be requested by either one of the parents on the bc or the person whose bc it is and they have to show id. If the parents were married at the time of birth anyone can request it.

What I found even more ridiculous is that if someone's parents weren't married when they were born if that child eventually gets married there marriage certificate will also be impounded and need Id from the people on it to be accessed.

This also means that if someone moves ect the birth and/or marriage certificate can not be requested to be mailed, they can only be gotten in person. My SO ran into this problem when getting LO's Bc and at the time I just figured there was a rule about accessing people under a certain ages birth certificates or something.

The whole thing just seems kind of ridiculous and almost like some type of "punishment" or shaming or something for having/being a child born "out of wedlock". I am also disappointed because I thought my state was a little more progressive than this.