Adoption
Options

Question for the foster parents ...

Let me preface this with I'm not an adoptive or foster mom.  I am a preschool owner/director that currently has 2 students that are with foster families enrolled (they are not with the same families ... just coincidental that I have 2 right now).

My question is, how much feedback would you expect from your foster child's preschool?  In both situations the children are visiting with their birthparents.  In one, the child was removed almost a year ago and the other is very recent (less than a month).

This morning the one that was recently removed had some issues (nothing major) and then was wanting to talk to a teacher a bit about her past.  We NEVER pry and don't ask questions but let them know they can talk at any time.  Our policy is to then relay it all (good or bad) to the foster parents.  I don't ever want a parent to think we're asking questions as it's certainly not our place to do so (but sometimes basics help), but I want them to know if the child is telling us stuff.  This child shared some VERY basic information (no real identifying information .... just that they lived in an old house and "had to get out of there") ... but kept testing by asking "can I tell you something?" and then  would essentially say the same thing over again.

I told the foster mom what the child had said and how we handled it.  The child had come to school with a not so great attitude so I explained how we helped turn it around.  FM was appreciative of the information and shared that the kids (they have siblings) had a visit with BM yesterday which resulted in A LOT of questions. 

I know that as foster parents you are required to fill out documentation, etc and I assume that post visit behavior (conversations, etc) would be important.  Yes? No?  Is there anything else you'd like to know? 

In both cases we have very little information.  We do not know why the children were removed from their homes (not that we need to know) just how long ago it was and that in both cases the FP would like to adopt and these are considered long term placements.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml