C-sections
Options

Repeat C Sections, Judged *long*

With my c section date fast approaching I'm experiencing mixed emotions...excitement, joy, nervousness and guilt. Guilt, because as I just found out my date and have been excitedly and nervously sharing it with other moms, I am hearing the same responses over and over "why are you having another c section?" "Can't you have a VBAC?" Cue the disdain in their tone. 

I guess I was naive and wasn't expecting people to ask private questions, but I honestly never expected this reaction, especially from moms that had c sections themselves! Really I should have expected it, after labouring for 30 hours with my first (27 of those naturally) a story that I thought would get me a bit of respect from other moms,  I endured the "why did you have a c section" and the worse "why did you WANT a section" question. Instead of respect, I think I got pity! 

Now I'm feeling the need to have to explain my repeat to others, friends and strangers, and I'm not sure how to respond. It's none of their business. I don't have the choice of a VBAC, I did get a 2nd and a 3rd opinion, no I'm not "too posh to push" (wtf) It's especially awkward when asked by strangers (eg. the mom at the playground yesterday) and even worse when I feel judged by my friends HUSBANDS. It's almost like I can't seem TOO excited about having the baby as having a repeat c section seems so controversial, it's like I'm expected to seem sad and ashamed. It's not like I'm thrilled for surgery, I'm actually quite terrified,  I'm just excited to meet my new baby. Why can't I be proud of my birth story?

Have other moms experienced this?  What are your responses? Any stories to share? No idea if this makes a difference but I'm in Canada :)

TIA if you read my whole rant :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker