Pittsburgh Babies
Options

Mercy or Magee for a natural twin birth?

Hi bumpies! 

So far this pregnancy I have had one appointment at the Midwife Center and I LOVE them. I have really been looking forward to having a natural birth under their care at UPMC Mercy.

However, we just found out yesterday that we are having twins (!!). Since I was already planning on having a hospital birth, it doesn't necessarily change my plans; but I've since heard that at Mercy mothers of multiples have to labor in the OR. I'm assuming this means no access to some of the things I was most looking forward too--the birthing tubs, balls, etc ...? I have only heard good things about Mercy, but none of the stories I've found about twin births there have been natural births. I have also heard that the Midwives at Magee are very willing to work with moms of multiples who want natural births, so I'm wondering if that would be a better place to go. 

I plan on having a very frank conversation with the midwives at the Center about my concerns and asking tons of questions, but my appointment isn't for another two weeks, which feels so far away! Have any of you had (or have friends/acquaintances that had) twin deliveries at either of these hospitals? Good experiences, bad experiences?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker