Pre-School
Options

Know about Enamel Hypoplasia? Defective Tooth Enamel?

Hello -

Looking for people who have experience with hypoplasia in kids' teeth to learn more about it...

We just had DS's (3.5) first check up at the dentist today and they said he has enamel hypoplasia. Apparently this is from his teeth not forming enamel correctly while he was in utero. His case isn't really bad - it's mostly the top molars that are discolored (I hadn't even noticed) but he does have 3 cavities (in bottom molars) and the dentist seemed to attribute it to the same condition of weak tooth enamel.

I read that it occurs in babies of women who are malnourished or that had a high fever during pregnancy - I don't think either applies to me. I am pregnant again now, so eager to learn about what may have caused this so I can try to stop it from happening again.

Also, the dentist wants to seal his affected teeth to protect them, which will cost more than $600 and an extra sedation session (on top of the cavity filling one). But I read online that hypoplasia might not need to be treated.

Any input on this based on your experience or professional dental knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml