Adoption
Options

Intro from an occasional dirty lurker

Hi Ladies!

I am starting the process of becoming a licensed foster parent in hopes of being able to adopt a child. We have a biological son who is almost 2 and we know it will probably take a long time so we are hoping when the time comes they will be close in age. 

Here is the issue. I know it will be no problem to get foster kids, there are tons of them but I would like a child under 5 and who's parental rights have been terminated because I don't want to foster for a long time just to have to give them back. In this state (not sure about others) kids under 10 are not considered "available for adoption" when placed in foster care. How it was explained to me is that they are placed and then all other avenues are looked at and then the kids are offered to the foster parents, I am still fuzzy on that whole thing but I figure if parental rights are terminated we have a better chance. I am fine with doing short term fosters until we get our forever kid (is that a word? I am really so new to this). 

So my question is does anyone have experience with foster to adopt (we have lots of experience with this with dogs, 3 time foster failures here but know it is so different for humans) and also adopting a kid around 4 or 5?

Hope you guys don't mind if I hang around. You guys seem to know your stuff. 

Sorry this was so long.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker