Parenting after 35
Options

Opinions, please

Synopsis:

My SAHM friend is out of town.  Her 17yo daughter has graduated but doesn't have a summer job yet.  This leaves her sitting alone all day.  Try to remember what you would have done at 17 w/o any parents.  Exactly.  So I mention that I would LOVE to have a second set of hands to help me out for a few days.  

She drives into work with her Dad (about an hour) and gets to my house at 5am.  We obviously are not up.  So she sleeps on the sofa until the family is up and about...Today we got started around 8;30-9:00a.

She's a good kid and I have a really, really close relationship with her but she is sort of a dud as a babysitter.  For example, I left her alone with DS and went upstairs to change clothes.  So, in total, about 5 minutes.  I came downstairs to find that DS had  busted the baby gate (literally...it was in three pieces on the floor) and he was in the bathroom sucking on dangerous chemicals (see my previous confessions post about the Clorox cleaner).  She was sitting, literally, 5 feet away totally engrossed in texting.  NOT JOKING.  She was properly scared and ashamed that she hadn't noticed and apologized a million times.  I wasn't upset that he got into something...he's done it to me countless times but  OMG how could she not notice while she was sitting RIGHT THERE...I spoke with her about it and she was much, much, much better today.  However, I don't feel confident leaving her alone with him for babysitting. I leave if he's down for a nap but if he's awake, I have to be there.

So, looooooooong story to ask a simple question:  When do I start paying and how much?   Should I pay her from when she arrives at 5am?  Or should I pay from 8am?

I feel like the auntie in me wants to be super generous and build up her confidence - something she is really lacking - but the other side of me is like, "hey, kid, welcome to the world...here's your minimum wage.  Oh, and you don't get paid for sleeping." 

Oh, and she also asked me to help her go to Planned Parenthood to get BCP.  So, yeah, there's that.

Opinions, please. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml