Adoption
Options

Bio parents?

So this isn't exactly adoption-related, but it does have to do with bio parents and I just want to hear some perspective from someone else. When DH was stationed overseas (when we weren't together), he and a friend of his... Well, got closer than planned. When she found out she was pregnant a while later she did not know who was the bio father. DH and I were under the impression that she determined paternity. Well, he's been talking to her lately and found out that actually she never did -- and doesn't want to. I get that she and her husband are Mom and Dad; we're not interested in ripping apart the family or forcing some custody agreement on them (though we'd be open to a mutually agreeable custody arrangement if all parents involved think it would be a good idea). At the same time, DH wants to know and we strongly believe that the LO has the right to know where she comes from biologically. If the mom flatly refuses, WWYD? My biggest concerns are medical info and just when she's older and really curious.. What if by the time she's 18 she isn't able to track down her bio father? If it's my DH, then we can figure out what to do and work with the parents on how to go about telling LO all of it... And if it's not, DH can get it off his shoulders and she will have less searching to do if she chooses to. Can/should we take this to court if Mom won't willingly do it? Of course this is a decision DH and I have to make (mostly him), but outside advice would be nice.
~Julie image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers