Special Needs
Options

DD got kicked out of daycare

So this is my first official post here.  My DD is 18 months and she has spina bifida, so she's in a wheelchair.  Currently she is in the infant room at her daycare.  They usually transition at 16 months but they were concerned about her mobility so they've been holding her back.  We finally had an evaluation with the director last week where they watched her interact with the other kids in the toddler room. We were in there for an hour and it was her first time ever really being in there so she was adjusting to the different pace.  DH and I met with the director this morning for the evaluation and basically told us that 1) she cannot stay in the infant room past 18 months and 2) they cannot make accommodations for her to move to the toddler room.  We asked if they are kicking her out, and he said that we can draw our own conclusions to what that means.  

I'm just really heartbroken.  Overall I've loved this center and DD loves the teachers.  They have given us 3 months to find a new place, so we're trying to get into another center that is specially geared towards children with disabilities (and they have other normal kids too), as well as working our friend and church networks for a nanny.  I just want her out of there as soon as possible.  

I'm sorry my first post here is kind of a downer, but I know you ladies here will know what this feels like.  We do plan to file a grievance with the ADA, but ultimately I don't want to keep her somewhere that doesn't truly want her.  We don't want another family to go through this, and I cannot bear the thought of having to deal with this director long term.  Even though she's little, I want her to see how we handle situations like this.   Please let me know we're doing the right thing.  Is there something else we can do?  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers