Baby Showers
Options

Mom drama again

We plan to use cloth diapers.  Oh and we are team green.  This weekend, my mother (who after numerous attempts to turn down a baby shower is throwing it anyway) says she plans to ask all of my out of state family (which means all of my aunts and cousins) to send a cloth diaper and a gift card.  She is going to wrap them up individually with the gift givers name in the diaper and the gift card in the diaper.  

Dear Lord, I tried to explain to her how wrong this sounds.  I told her it was tacky to invite out of state people.  I told her it was tacky to tell them what gifts to bring and not to mention spend $15-30 on one diaper and a gift card???  I tried telling her moms shouldn't throw the shower.  I also mentioned how specific the cloth diapers are and that the quantities of each type matters.  Even the 2nd shower excuse didn't work.  I was trying to find every excuse I could to get her to not do this.  

Her response, "oh well, that's what I'm going to have them do so deal with it".  And, "well, I have done so much for their kids, they can do for mine too" (I had a shower 14 years ago with DS and family came to that one!).  I did at least get her to understand that it was not kosher for her to send this request to in state people.  She can deal with her family repercussions.

Question is, what can I possibly do to stop this?  With DS, she threw me a surprise shower and I am afraid that when I tell her not to throw this shower, she'll just do what she did before.  We are financially able to handle all of this ourselves and were prepared to do so.  If you couldn't tell, she and I rarely see eye to eye on things and have gotten into full on wars.  With this pregnancy, I am really trying to avoid all of that.

Blog Planning Site Anniversary 2007- Fell down stairs, herniated 4 disks, Degenerative Disk Disease, Facet Arthritis Perfectly healthy previous to this fall. 2008- Diagnosed Hypothyroid 2010- Diagnosed severe Vitamin D deficiency and Chronic Mono 2011- Diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel, and Calcified Tendinitis in right shoulder