Baby Showers
Options

Am I wrong?

I posted this (plus more background info) over on the Sept 13 board, but I'd love your input. I don't know if it was rude for them to do this and just expect me to go along with it, or if it is common for other people to just decide to throw you a meet the baby party.

Anyway, OP.

"My boyfriend and I went to dinner with his dad and stepmom tonight, and the dinner conversation made me extremely frustrated. First, my baby shower for his dad/stepmom's side of the family has been planned for the beginning of June for quite awhile. At dinner she brings up the fact that his aunts want to change the date of the shower, which I was completely fine with. At least I was until she told me they decided to move it to after the baby is here. I know that I am probably being overly sensitive, but I absolutely hate meet the baby parties. I am going to be tired and sore after the baby is here, and will honestly not be interested in going to a party with people that I barely know. I've been dating my boyfriend for three years, and we have lived together for two of them, but I have only seen that side of his family probably three times. I absolutely hate "pass the baby," and at the beginning of flu season I don't think this is something I am interested in at all. Luckily my boyfriend said he would talk to his stepmom about this, because I would rather not have a shower on that side of the family if they aren't able to do it until after he is born." 

I am glad that my boyfriend is going to talk to her, but am still curious as to what the correct etiquette is with meet the baby parties. I thought they were something the parents usually threw. I thought it was kind of rude for his aunts to just decide that they were going to do this so that they would all get to meet him. Also, his family is a huge, loud, Italian family. There would probably be 30-40 people at this party, and I can guarantee they would try to pass him to every single person. I guess I'm just frustrated and am wondering if I have a right to be annoyed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml