Adoption
Options

Answering the questions

I have an 8 year old son who was adopted from Russia. He is in a new school this year, and while they were talking about maps, he told his classmates he was from Russia. So it's a popular topic in his class apparently. He is proud of it. However, in reading a card from us mom and dad this weekend for his first communion, he read something about mom and dad, them stopped nd looked at me and said " you know you aren't my real mom and dad, right? I mean you are my mom and dad, but not my real ones". We talk about it and I asked him if second in class said that to him. He said yes. But hesitated to tell me who. I told him they weren't in trouble I am just curious who is saying that.

He also is a kid with severe insecurities. He asks me everyday if I like him. We have two younger. Biological boys as well. But I want him to be proud of where he came from, but not feel he has to share every detail either.

How have you handled these questions? I don't know what to say all the time. Sometimes he will even talk about when he was in my belly and looks crushed when I remind him gently he wasn't. Though sometimes I didn't respond and let it go. He was 2.5 years when we brought him home so he wasn't an infant.

Thanks for your help. I plan on finding an adoption therapist to help is through this.