December 2013 Moms
Options

Pregnant...in shock & telling parents tomorrow

On April 7 I took a test with my husband who was really happy and excited we are pregnant.  We walked to the cvs and bought another test.  Like the first it turned positive results in about 10 sec.  I have always wanted to be a mother, as in never really had a clue what I wanted to do with my life but that, only I didn't react in the way I thought I always would when I found out I was pregnant for the first time.

I was, and continue to be, in complete shock.  I don't know that I am actually ready, but I guess it is too late.  The ob/gyn nurse estimated I am 5 weeks due in Dec 2013 but maybe a wk or two further along, which I know is still early but I am pregnant.  I wish I was reacting in a super happy way but I am still getting used to the idea.  We are struggling financially and I have been trying to get a new job and being pregnant is like a hurdle to new employment.  After finding out our news and coming to terms with our financial and parenting situation we reached out to my parents for some financial support (over the phone). 

So tomorrow they are coming over to dinner to discuss if and how they can help us get out of our financial hole.  My husband, who is excited to tell both of our parents anyway, especially wants to tell my parents since they are probably going to help us in some way.  I am totally nervous and just want to keep the whole thing a secret until I can wrap my head around it.  But I agree that they need to know considering the whole money thing. 

So how should we tell them?  It will be their first grandchild.  He wants to tie it into the financial discussion, as in we are reaching out for help because we will be having a baby.  I don't want to piggy back on the topic of, hey we are broke and need help, and especially because we are having a baby!  I honestly want to wait a few more weeks until we have our first appt. but my husband doesn't want to keep them in the dark about it when they are helping us financially.  Also he wants to reach out to his boss for extra hours/raise and works with his dad so he doesn't want his parents to find out via the work grapevine.  So our plan is to tell them this weekend.  We will only be telling our parents, our siblings and each of our best friends and waiting to tell the rest.  My parents will be the first, well actually this board is the first HA!  It has been hard to know the past few days and keep quiet amid all the confused thoughts I am having. 

So how should we tell them.  Just plain old, "we're pregnant," or should i get a grandparents frame and give them that?  Or any other suggestions?