3rd Trimester

XP: I'm stumped....

I want to react in the best way possible.  I am fuming inside...disturbed...shocked...and I seriously don't want to react the wrong way.

My daughter came home singing "The Unicorn Song."  Now, granted the song is very sweet and if the words were changed around I don't believe I would have any problem with it at all.  Here is a link to the lyrics:

http://www.songlyrics.com/irish-rovers/the-unicorn-lyrics/

Those of you who are familiar with this song know that it is adapted from a Shel Silverstein poem.  I love him.  He is one of my favorite authors. 

My issue is that my daughter is learning a religious song in her music class at school!  She came home and asked if she could sing me the song, all words intact, and it took every ounce of calmness within me not to react.

In my head I was screaming "WTF?!?!?!?!  ARE YOU F*&%^ KIDDING ME?!?!?!"  However, to my daughter I smiled and said "Wow!  You learning a pretty long song and you remembered all of the words.  And you sang it so sweetly.  I love when you sing to me!"  That is all I said and then sent her on her way to do her homework so that I could fume while I finished the dishes.

I know some of you will say "So what. Big Deal."  Some of you may fume right along with me.  I am extremely ruffled by this and I even feel let down a bit as well.  I send my child to school to learn about math, music, science, literature, art, etc.  I also send her to school to learn social behaviors and appreciation for diversity.  However, we are also the type of family who is very involved with our child's education and development and this conflicts with our values and beliefs at home.  She is very aware and knows this.

SO...what to do?  How do I react?  I don't want to get the teacher in trouble but at the same time, did he really believe that it is okay to teach kids this song?

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!