August 2013 Moms

WWYD

This got long, sorry!

DH and I have been together 9 years, married almost 2. MIL and I have always had a friendly enough relationship. She's definitely not my favorite person, but I tolerate her in small dosesshe's VERY needy and VERY smothering. We see her about once a year. We've been on vacation with her all week, which we have paid for completely, and she has been especially clingy to DH.

Last night we had dinner w/ a lot of his extended family, and I overheard her telling DH how she just doesn't understand how I can sit and talk with the rest of his family for hours, but how I'm so "cold and uncaring" towards her. When I say I "overheard", DH was sitting between the two of us and she was whispering loudly. She's hard of hearing, so I don't think me hearing was intentional.

I'm sorry, I may not be sunshine and roses all the time, but those are two words I would never use to describe myself. This conversation went on for a good 10 minutes, and DH did very little to stick up for me. When I asked him about it later, his response was "I wondered if you could hear. She's just being dumb" and that was the end of it. She spit all of that venom, then 20 minutes later wanted to know how soon after LO arrives that we would be flying her in to visit, like she hadn't said a word. So...WWYD? Say something or let it go?