August 2013 Moms

dog owners, weight question

So my inlaws took care of our pitt for a while because we couldnt find a rental that would allow us to have her. We just got her back a few days ago and she is HUGE!! I don't know what all they were feeding her, we used to leave food in her bowl at all times because she just nibbled throughout the day and never had a problem over eating. Now she scarfs it as soon as its in the bowl! and I know they were giving her scraps because she runs to the kitchen as soon as she hears any dishes, even though the swear they didn't. Yea right. Since Ive never had to monitor her I guess I just want to make sure Im doing the right thing. Im in the process of switching her from purina to blue buffalo healthy weight. The bag says up to 3 1/2 cups for her weight, but Ive been doing 4 just because I don't want to starve her right off the bat (Ill work on bringing down the amount) and Im splitting it up between two feedings instead of just one. Im also going to start walking her, but Im sorta still on bedrest so I am limited on how much activity I can do with her right now. Any other suggestions? Am I on the right track here? She is such a fantastic loving dog, I just want her to be healthy I don't want this weight to start causing health problems.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml