August 2013 Moms

Disagreement on testing...

So last night I brought up the genetic-type tests to my DH. We've NEVER discussed anything like that, or even the idea of having a kiddo with any type or disease, illness, special need, etc. Then today at my appmt, my Doc brought up the Quad test, as they'll bring it up to decide either way at my next visit.

I'm not a big proponent (for myself) of even the basic tests, as I don't feel the need to 'prepare' and I could never abort my baby for having a condition of sorts. Well, apparently, my DH is on the opposite side of the fence. He DOES want me to have it done, and I guess at this point, his thinking is, if there WAS a problem, he'd prefer to abort.

I have to say, I'm not sure exactly how to take this.. I know he's probably not the only one out there who believes this. But I guess I'm a little shocked. I'm a therapist, work with kids with special needs and have for years. I've never heard him speak negatively about it, but then again, they're not HIS kids.

Does anyone else not agree with their DH/SO about genetic testing or "what to do" with possible results?? I'm trying to validate what he thinks/feels but figure out what to do too...