Austin Babies
Options

Experience w/ Scott & White Round Rock?

Hi! Does anyone have any experience delivering (especially naturally) at Scott & White Round Rock on University Blvd? Or any experiences with the SW OBs that deliver there?

I recently attended a birthing class and tour of their birthing unit, and I now have some concerns. I was planning on a natural, unmediated birth (like I had with my first child), but it doesn't seem like the hospital or staff is really open to it.

Some specific reasons for concerns:

- They seem very pro epidural and recommended everyone in the class sign their consent forms with the anesthesiologist weeks in advance of the birth, to save time.

- A big focus of the class was on pain relief options, induction and c-section info. However, anyone that wanted to learn about breathing techniques to help with labor could stay AFTER class for that info. (Which, BTW, lasted about 10 minutes.)

- The instructor (a SW L&D nurse) could not or would not tell us what percentage of births were done via c-section at the hospital. She kept quoting the national average of 33%, even when she was asked specifically for the info on SW's stats.

- There's no NICU unit at the hospital. So if something goes wrong and your baby needs one, he or she will be transferred to a different hospital.

- Said all moms get an IV inserted when they check in, regardless of the planned delivery method. (I don't really want an IV unless it is needed, so I can be more mobile during labor, etc.)

- Said we could be mobile during labor, but only within the 6 ft. range of the fetal monitor cables next to the delivery bed.

- When asked about birthing tubs or showers, they said there were no tubs, but we could use the (tiny) in-room shower to help with labor, but only for a very short time, because they don't want moms away from the monitors for too long.

- Said we would be giving birth on our backs because "it's easier for [the nurses/doctors]."

- When asked about delaying the clamping of the cord, was told that wasn't really done, and I should talk to my doctor about it.

- You only know you'll be getting your doctor to deliver your baby during business hours, M-F 8am-6pm. If you deliver on evenings or weekends, you get the on-call OB, which is a 1 in 6 chance could be your regular doctor. (But is this pretty common with all OB practices?)

- And on a less important note (though it may become important after delivering), meals are only given to patients between 7am to 7pm. If you need a meal outside those hours you'll have to get someone to bring you food from outside the hospital.

So, this is what we were told... just wondering if anyone has any actual experience delivering there.

I love my OB, but am worried about the hospital processes not being willing to adapt to my needs or will be right for me. And then there's the whole hospital "facility fee" I just realized I've been paying to SW for all my non-hospital OB visits ( bit.ly/X0M1VI ), so I'm wondering if at this point (34 weeks) it's time to find a new doctor and hospital.

Thanks!