August 2013 Moms

VERY funny student response to my pregnancy.

I teach 12th grade English at an urban high school. My one class of 12th graders is a very special group of kids. About 10 of the 15 kids are boys, 5th year seniors, demote seniors, or have some sort of learning disability. It is hectic, but they're an endearing group of kids who keep me on my toes, and I adore them. 

Today one of the girls in the class was trying to get us off topic and asked if I had kids or when I'm going to have kids. So I decided it was a good time to tell the class that I was pregnant.

After a lot of "Awwwwwws" and "Congrats," one boy, who is about to be a dad himself in March, said, "Do your husband's titties hurt? Because the first couple months that my girl was pregnant, my titties hurt. My mom says that it's normal for the dad to feel some of the girl's pain. So do your husband's titties hurt?" 

I know that I should have immediately reprimanded him about using appropriate language in class, but I just started laughing and put my head down on my desk in total defeat. Another student jumped in and said, "Bro don't say 'titties' say 'breasts' or 'bosoms' - Say, Mrs. A, does your husbands breasts or bosoms hurt?" 

Needless to say we never got back on topic :)