August 2013 Moms

STMs: tubes for ear infections?

I know we have lots of BTDT moms here that are quite active and was wondering if anyone had any experience with their toddler getting tubes in their ears? I will ask my other BMB too, but this one is more active, so I thought is take a chance here too.

DS has had 8 ear infections since May. Yes...8. It's awful. He's actually so happy and mellow I rarely know he has an ear infection, he may be a bit more clingy than normal, but doesn't cry or lose much sleep over it. So when I do get him to an appt and they peek in his ears and tell me he has an infection, it's often with few symptoms other than a cold. The worst part about the infections, is they just don't go away. It will take 3 rounds of antibiotics to clear it up, and then there may still be fluid in there.

I'm just tired of pumping him with these antibiotics, but terrified of the thought of surgery as well. I hear its a very simple procedure, but I'm still scared. I've been hesitant to talk about tubes for that reason, but today told his pediatrician that I'm ready to talk to an ENT about tubes. So the referral has been made.

It seems like kids are getting tubes all the time?!?! Surely some of you have experienced this too!

TIA!
August is our favorite month!
Married 8/6/2005. DS #1 Born 8/2/2011. Baby #2 8/13/2013!
Just missing the dreaded "2 under 2!"