August 2013 Moms

Real life Catfish! Why are people crazy?

Ah so this is going to be long.  Sorry in advance for the TL/DR.  So I have had an acquaintance for several years that has been going through a lot of horrible health problems.  There was always something that seemed off to me, but you can't call out someone who is fighting for their life.

First it was cancer.  Breast Cancer.  I had told her when she was cancer free I would make her a celebratory cake for free (I own my own custom cake business).  Well she gave me an update and said she had to take one more test and that she was cancer free...but she couldn't have salt because of an Iodine test.  One of my close friends had thyroid cancer and had to do an iodine free diet, but she thought that was only a thyroid thing.  It was odd but she told me she got the good news and I started on a cake.  While battling cancer, she had also undergone several brain surgeries for an infection that she got because of a sinus infection.  Again, it sounded odd but I'm a baker, not a neurosurgeon. 

During her visit I thought it odd that she had all of her hair.  Between aggressive cancer treatments and numerous brain surgeries I was expecting some kind of bald spots but nope, not that I could see.  She did have a port in her chest so I could tell she had some kind of IV medication and I figured she must be telling the truth.  I had made her a beautiful cake covered in roses and a pink ribbon.  She told me that her hospital bills were in the millions of dollars and I asked why she wasn't on Medicaid.  She said she didn't qualify and again, I'm a baker so I just said Ok.  During this visit she told me about her brother, who lives in Texas and that he had just had a daughter but was flying to be with her during her surgeries.  This whole thing, for years has just felt "off" to me.  Well today I found out that my instincts were right.

She posted a picture of a baby and a man, presumably her brother, on a plane.  She then posted this week a picture of a baby girl saying that Lexie Ashley (Lastname) passed away last night and there was one more angel in heaven.  I was very sad for her family but then again grew suspicious.  DH asked why I don't use the Catfish tool and Google Image Search the pictures.  I did and immediately found that the baby girl picture was stolen from a Michigan teacher.  That baby was born in 2011.  I also found the picture of her brother and niece was attached to a blog and that baby was born in 2010.  I am fairly certain this girl has some mental issues.  I did write messages to the owners of the pictures she used, because I would want to know if someone took pictures of my son.  I don't know what to do as far as calling her out goes.  I got a message from her "brother" tonight (through her fb) saying that prayers are needed as Ashley's life once again hangs in the balance. 

I feel sorry for her but I'm also pissed!  She used this fake illness sob story to get a $50 cake out of me.  Who knows what else she has gotten out of others.  If you made it this far, what do you think I should do?  .

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml