3rd Trimester

double stroller/carseat conundrum

So, with DD#1 we had a BabyTrend stroller/car seat combo.  I wasn't happy with it overall (hard to close, hard to steer, and a piece of the seat broke (non-safety related but still makes me think we ought to get a new seat either way and not re-use it for DD#2 in any capacity)).  So I'm not a huge fan of BabyTrend stuff in general.

Now, DD#1 will be 2 1/2 when DD#2 arrives and she is not a fan of strollers.  Most of the time we just let her walk and when she is fussing we pick her up.  Obviously that won't work when DD#2 comes and we've been mulling over our stroller options for months now without really any good direction.

A friend is giving us a used Sit & Stand--and that's babytrend again.  I wouldn't let my aversion to the brand deter me from some good-ol' handmedown, but my biggest concern with that model is that the "stand" portion really is just a ledge and isn't really all that great with actually securing the older child in place--esp. if the child isn't super contented to ride there.  (It seems more for the compliant but not able to walk forever child vs. a child like mine who isn't always that cooperative with taking her places.)  So right now I've told my friend we'll try it out (before #2 comes) and see if she likes it, but I'm still concerned that even if she likes it *now* without a little baby along for the ride, her attitude may be different with a baby too.  And like I said I'd need to get a new car seat either way for DD#2 so I am kind of thinking I don't want to buy a new carseat to go with a system that is potentially not going to properly "contain" DD#1.

So I'm thinking we need something with a more conventional seat and I've heard good things about Graco's Quattro but then I'm stumped again as to which car seat...I don't remember it being this confusing before (but then again I think DH picked out the stroller system and we were blissfully ignorant about how much of a pain it would be if the system weren't just right for our needs.)

Any advice from those who already have their strategy or are on #3 so they've already used a double? 

BabyFruit Ticker