February 2012 Moms
Options

PSA - Exorgen Temporal Infared Thermometer

DH bought this thermometer because it's supposed to be awesome and simple to use on little kids.  My buddha is sick so we've been using it for the past 2.5 days.  I take his temp and it will get one reading, I take it again to double check and I get a different reading. 

I have been swearing up and down that Jack has been warmer than 99.9 degrees.  DH takes his temp and is like, "The thermometer says it's 99.9 degrees so that must be his temp."  Well, he did some digging last night after I told him that 99.9 degrees doesn't radiate off clothes and that if his fever was that low grade Jack wouldn't be so clingy and miserable, even if it was bed time.

DH did some searching and found out that you need to take the temperature 3 TIMES and use the highest number.  Even then the thermometer is only registering that a fever is present, NOT the actual temperature of your child!  Once a fever is confirmed as present (anything over 1 degree above normal body temp) you need to take your LO temp with a - and these are my words - REAL thermometer.

Bottom line is that if you have this thermometer you need another one and you will need to take your LO temp 4 times if you plan on using it.

Perhaps I'm late to the party and everyone already knows this, but I have never been more irritated with a product and I wanted to make sure that you all weren't relying on the accuracy of this same thermometer.

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers