Breastfeeding

Successful BFDing after 11 weeks of struggle

Hopefully this will encourage others who struggle with: tongue tie, slow weight gain, low supply,  and nipple shields. Its been a long difficult journey, but my LO is finally breastfeeding with the proper amount of intake

From birth our LO didnt breastfeed well at all. He needed the nipple shield, nursed for 40+ minutes, and had slow weight gain from low intake.  our LO was born with a tongue tie diagnosed at 4 weeks by a LC not clipped until 6 weeks. My supply was low bc of this problem,so i pumped after each feeding from 3-8 weeks old. My life was nursing and pumping and it was dreadful.  I needed to suppliment with formula for the first 5 weeks, do weighted feedings,  and I felt like a failure who couldnt feed my child. BFing was terrible and looking hopeless Until 6 weeks, then tiny milestones started being reached..slowly

Milestone # 1: week 6 i pumped enough to suppliment using only BM, 

milestone# 2: week 9 LO stopped using the nipple shield to latch(try laid back nursing...it helped LO latch)

milestone # 3 week 10 pumping only 2x at night instead of every session, i was able to travel places without double pump.

milestone # 4 week 11: LO cut down on nursing time from 40 to 20 minutes AND increased intake of each session to 3-4 oz so I no longer need to suppliment!

My goal was to be soley BFing and at 11 weeks we reached that goal finally.  

For those who struggle, there is hope! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml