Breastfeeding

? for those who have forceful let-down

DS is 5 wks and BFing has been going well until this week.  I have developed rather forceful let-down for about 7-10 days?  At first, DS was able to cope with it.  I can hear him gulp but he didn't seem to suffer any issues.

However, since earlier this week, about 2 feedings/day DS is choking and has to pull off.  I am already positioning him in such a way that he's literally on top of me, hoping that will slow down the flow, but it hasn't helped.  The choking occurs on both breasts, but no specific time of the day.  I ony nurse him one breast per feeding (used to offer both but no longer do that).  When he chokes, I bring him upright and burp him until he calms down, then puts him back to breast.  Sometimes he'll choke again b/c the following letdowns are still too forceful for him.

However, at other feedings when the letdown isn't as forceful, he is fine and still comfort nurses.  His poop has been normal yellow/seedy.  Also, I only leak a small amount overnight, but don't leak during the day.

FWIW, for the past few weeks my breasts felt full overnight, but since this past week, they don't feel as full, so I thought my body was adjusting.  Makes me confused why my letdown is worse now than before. 

I read the article on kellymom

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/   

and I'm wondering, for those of you who experienced this, which one(s) of her suggestions worked for you?   

If I hand express milk at the start, it still doesn't resolve the problem of subsequent letdowns half-way into the feeding?  Also, I read that it's best to avoid pumping, but is it okay if I use a manual pump to get rid of the initial let-down milk?  seems a waste to spray it into a towel. 

Thanks in advance to any suggestions and insights you have! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml