1st Trimester

XP: Pelvic Exams in Early Pregnancy?

Hi Ladies.  Does your doctor or midwife do a pelvic exam during early pregnancy?

Mine does and they claim it's to confirm the pregnancy (ute should be enlarged, cervix slightly blue) and since they're in there anyway for a pap (to make sure you don't have STDs which can harm the baby).  For confirming the pregnancy...I can just POAS or do a blood draw.  As for the pap, I just had one 5 months ago and DH and I are faithful...is that really necessary!?

I know I have an friable cervix (ie: I bleed pretty much anytime they do an internal exam).  With last pregnancy I spotted for a few days after the pelvic exam/pap and then had some TVUS to date the pregnancy which also led to spotting.  Before that everything was fine and I can't help but to wonder if all these invasive internal exams and prodding could have been a factor in my m/c. Maybe I should refuse them when I go to the doctor's office next week?

What's your experience?  Last time around I just let the OB do whatever was "standard procedure" for them because I figure they're the experts and would know best but perhaps "standard" isn't really and adding unnecessary risk...
BFP #1 7/1/12 | EDD 3/12/13 | mm/c 7/31/12 | D&E 8/3/12
BFP #2 11/28/12 | EDD 8/10/13
Our Baby at 11w6d | 55mm (2.2") | 162bpm
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers