Breastfeeding

Do I still need to wake LO up to feed?

LO is 2.5 weeks old.  We had weight gain issues at the beginning as he dropped >10% of his birth weight by day 3.  [8lb 4oz at birth; 7lb 7oz on day 3; 7lb 11oz on day 8 at pedi's office]  

On top of that, I was worried if he was getting enough breast milk b/c he keeps falling asleep at the breast.  So even if he's latched on for 20-30 minutes, he is only actively sucking/swallowing for the first 5 minutes.  The rest of the time he needs lots of prodding to get him to do a few swallows.   He makes plenty of urine and has 4-5 poopy diapers a day.

I nurse on demand when he's awake.  However, if he naps during the dayill , I wwake him up every 2 - 2.5 hrs to nurse.  At night, we wake him up every 4 hrs if he doesn't wake up on his own.  Every time when he's woken up from sleep, he goes frantic for the boob as if he hadn't eaten for days. 

I went to a BF group last week and did a weighed feeding.  He gained 1.5oz during that feeding.  

We were back at pedi office today.  His weight is 8lb 13 oz.  So, over the last 11 days, he gained 18oz!   

So my question is, should I continue to wake LO up from his naps during the day to nurse him?  Since he's gained so much weight, is it okay to let him nap longer and wait until he wakes up on his own?  I will still do at least one MOTN feed.

[P.S. I was going to go back to the BF support group today and ask the LCs this question.  But it's snowing outside and I don't feel like heading out again after our pedi visit this am.] 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml